A Beginner's Guide to Smart Door Locks
Are you looking to upgrade the security of your home or office? Smart door locks offer an innovative way to ensure that your property is secure. This comprehensive guide will walk you through the important considerations when it comes to smart door locks so that you can make an informed decision about what's best for your home or office. Read on to learn all about smart door locks and how they can benefit you!
1. What are smart door locks?
Smart door locks offer an innovative way to access a place electronically and without traditional keys. As connected devices, they are part of the ever-expanding Internet of Things (IoT), allowing users to grant third parties secure virtual access via SMS, text message, or email - with some models even including cameras that take photos when somebody unlocks them. With these encrypted digital keys, homeowners can securely access the smart lock for a predetermined amount of time. They also offer an invaluable feature: the ability to log and monitor access through their protected entryways. By leveraging modern technology in this way, home automation has been revolutionized for a smarter lifestyle experience!
2. How are smart door locks powered?
Smart door locks are powered by a variety of sources, depending on the model you purchase. Some are battery-powered and use standard 4 AA batteries, which last up to one year, depending on usage, while others require hardwiring into your home's existing electrical system. Still, others rely on solar power or a combination of both electricity and battery power.
3. How do smart door locks work?
Smart door locks work by using a variety of technologies, such as Bluetooth and Wi-Fi, to allow you to control them remotely. The most common type is the keyless entry smart lock, which lets you unlock your door with a smartphone app or code. Smart locks may also be connected to other home automation systems, allowing for voice commands, motion sensors, facial recognition, notifications, and remotely-controlled access.
Furthermore, smart locks feature additional security measures such as tamper alarms and battery power backup in the event of a power cut. Certain models even include fingerprint scanners for more accurate verification. With these functions, you can rest assured that your house is protected from break-ins when you are away from home.
For instance, if you are out at the store and realize you left your keys inside, you can open your door from the app and let yourself in. Smart locks also allow you to give access to your home while you are away by simply sending a code or key to the person who needs it.
4. How can you open a smart door lock?
When it comes to opening smart door locks, there are several options available depending on the type of lock you have installed.
For instance, if you have an electronic keypad smart lock, then you will need the PIN code or other authentication information associated with the lock. With this type of lock, you can use a key fob, a smartphone app, or your voice to open the door remotely. Some smart locks also come with biometric technology, such as fingerprint readers, for added security and convenience.
If you have an RFID smart lock, then you'll need to have an RFID card or keyfob that is programmed into the lock. Simply place your card or fob near the reader, and it will unlock if it recognizes your credentials.
Finally, many smart locks come with a manual override in case of an emergency or power outage. This can be done either by using a physical key or by pressing a designated button on the lock.
5. What can a smart lock do?
Smart door locks provide you with a host of control and security features, including:
- App-based Control & Monitoring: Unlock or lock your door from anywhere with an app.
- Remote Accessibility: Open the door remotely no matter where you are in the world.
- Auto Lock/Unlock Convenience: Automatically lock or unlock based on if you're home or away.
- Access Sharing Capabilities: Easily grant access to family and friends when necessary - then revoke it as well!
- Stay Informed: Receive notifications whenever the door is opened or closed, so you won't have to worry.
- Speak To Unlock: Enjoy hands-free voice commands for opening and closing your lock with Alexa and other Voice Assistants.
- Long-Lasting Power Source: Rest assured that your smart lock will keep functioning optimally for up to 500 days on a single battery charge.
- Traditional Accessibility Still Available: Don't miss out! Your original key still works smoothly with your smart lock as an added plus!
- Uncompromised Security Protocols: Keep intruders at bay by implementing military-grade encryption technology into every aspect of home security.
6. What are the different types of smart locks?
Smart locks come in a variety of styles and configurations, allowing homeowners to choose the right security solution that suits their needs – there's no shortage when it comes to options!
- Keypad models come with either touchscreen displays or physical buttons; moreover, they can be programmed with master passcodes as well as individualized codes for each user. And if that wasn't enough – most are compatible with other smart home components too!
- Garage Door Locks are a great option for those who need extra protection for their garage. Many of these locks can be connected via an app or Z-wave hub; they will also deliver notifications each time the door opens and shuts.
- Wi-Fi Smart Locks are a great way to connect your lock with other devices in your home, offering you the benefit of being able to track its opening and closing activity as well as securely granting digital access keys to people you can trust.
- Bluetooth Smart Locks have been increasing in popularity for their ease of use. By directly pairing them up with your smartphone, it's now easier than ever before to unlock without having to enter passcodes every time!
The EleMake deadbolt locks provide superior security for your entry system. If you'd like to take it a step further, then our smart locks are ideal. They offer quick and convenient access through Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, keypad, or smartphone app and comes complete with a physical key fob too!
7. What's the difference between smart locks and traditional door locks?
Compared with traditional locks, smart locks provide a more convenient, secure, and smart way of managing access to a property. Unlike traditional door locks which require the use of a key or combination, smart locks are enabled by Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, and other smart home systems.
A smart lock's main advantage is that it can be operated remotely, providing convenience and allowing access to multiple users. Smart locks can also be integrated with smart home products, enabling users to integrate them with other smart devices and automate door locking when leaving the property. Additionally, smart locks come with features such as auto-locking and smart home integration, which can be used to program multiple users and unlock the door via a smartphone or smart home device.
Another advantage of smart locks is that they are more secure than traditional door locks. Smart locks use one-time codes, two-factor authentication, smart cards, fingerprint readers, and other smart features to secure a property. While smart locks may be more expensive than traditional door locks, they provide a better level of security.
8. Why is a smart lock so hot now?
Smart door locks have become increasingly popular lately as people seek improved home security and convenience. They have a variety of features that make them popular, such as smart platform integrations, scheduling capabilities, and geofencing. Plus, smart door locks come in a variety of styles and colors to fit any home. The smart lock technology ensures that your doors remain locked even when you are away, providing peace of mind against burglaries and other types of intrusions. Additionally, smart locks save time as users no longer have to carry around keys or fumble through pockets for entry into their homes. There's no doubt that smart lock technology will continue to evolve and offer new perks in the future, making them a must-have item for any smart home.
9. Are smart door locks safe?
Smart door locks are undeniably convenient for homeowners, allowing them to unlock and lock their doors with a smartphone app or even grant access to someone without them needing to be there. Despite this, however, many smart door lock systems can be prone to hacking and other cyber threats. It may therefore be worth investing in smart lock systems that have built-in encryption technology and rigorous authentication procedures – this will ensure that your smart locks are safe and secure at all times!
10.Can smart door locks be hacked?
The short answer is yes, smart door locks can be hacked. The truth is, no smart device can guarantee absolute security; however, smart locks are designed with several layers of security and encryption to make them very difficult—if not impossible—to hack.
Smart locks rely on a variety of security protocols and techniques to prevent potential intruders from accessing your smart door lock. For example, many smart locks use encryption techniques to scramble the data they send and receive, making it difficult for hackers to decipher or use that data. Additionally, smart locks often require multiple forms of verification—such as a passcode, fingerprint scan, or face recognition—before they can be opened.
Not to mention smart locks also come with other security features such as auto-lock, tamper alerts, and smart user access control. That way, you can easily monitor who's entering your home and quickly identify any suspicious activity.
So, while smart door locks can theoretically be hacked, the chances of your smart lock being compromised are incredibly slim. With smart lock technology and security protocols continuing to evolve, smart locks remain a secure, convenient way to protect your home.
11. Are there any downsides to smart locks?
Smart locks have many advantages, but there are a few downsides to consider when deciding whether or not to install one.
One of the main concerns is the battery life; smart door locks are powered by batteries and, as such, need to be replaced every few months or so. Though most batteries could work for over a year, the replacement cost makes smart door locks more expensive than traditional key-based locks in the long run, and for some homes, this could be a prohibitive cost.
Fortunately, smart door locks also offer a key-based access option in addition to digital operation, meaning that you don't have to worry about the batteries running out in an emergency.
Additionally, EleMake smart door locks often come with an extra USB charging port so that emergency charging can be done in the event of a power cut.
12. Do I really need a smart lock?
The answer to that question depends on your lifestyle and security needs. Smart locks can offer many benefits, from providing extra convenience to keeping you and your family safe.
If you have a busy lifestyle with frequent travel, smart locks can make it easier to manage who has access to your home. With smart locks, you can issue “keyless” digital keys that give a person access to your home for a predetermined amount of time. This can be helpful when you need to provide access to workers, babysitters, or temporary accommodations.
Smart locks can also help protect you from package theft, which is becoming increasingly common. With smart lock technology, you can remotely control when a delivery is left outside your door and even set up notifications when a package arrives.
Smart locks can also help if you have a vacation home or rental property. You can give access remotely to guests and keep track of when people enter and exit your property.
13. Are smart locks worth the investment?
The answer is a resounding yes. Investing in smart door locks is a prudent decision since they offer improved not only security but also convenience. You can easily grant and revoke access from afar to whomever you wish; set entry windows that are restricted by time; plus be notified when someone comes into your home, allowing for peace of mind for you and all members of your family.
Additionally, you can set smart locks to operate with voice commands, so you don’t have to fumble with keys ever again. Smart locks are not only incredibly secure, but they also radiate a modern charm to your home. With an economical starting price and effortless installation, investing in a smart lock is the ideal way to raise the value of your residence and enter into the world of leading-edge technology.
14. How long do smart lock batteries last?
When it comes to determining the lifespan of a smart lock battery, there are multiple elements at play - including its model type, frequency of use, and even the kind of batteries used. Generally speaking, when alkaline batteries power up your device, they usually keep going up to 12 months, while lithium-ion ones can serve you nonstop for three years! On average, though, smart locks that run on either type will last from 6 months to one year, depending on their usage.
To ensure your smart lock goes the distance, look for one that's made from high-quality materials and has a good IP rating (at least 65), as well as one that offers a long-term warranty. You should also take extra care to keep your smart lock protected from extreme temperatures and physical damage, such as impacts. With proper maintenance and care, your smart lock should last for many years to come.
The technology used in a smart lock might could also make a difference. Compared with Bluetooth smart locks, remote control locks with built-in Wi-Fi module consume more power. That's the reason why most Wi-Fi smart locks might need a battery replacement every 6 months and also the reason why EleMake supply a separated Wi-Fi gateway to enable remote control for every Bluetooth smart locks.
15. What types of doors could I put smart locks on?
You can use smart locks on many types of doors, from interior and exterior residential doors to commercial entry points. Smart locks are a great choice for a variety of door types, including wooden doors, metal doors, glass doors, and even sliding patio doors. When choosing smart locks for these different types of doors, consider the size and weight of the door as well as how much security and privacy (a sleek smart door handle like following image would be enough if you just need some extra privacy for your living room) you require.
For wooden doors, smart locks come in both digital and mechanical models. The smart locks can be installed in the door jamb or onto the face of the door itself. Digital smart locks are especially convenient for entrance doors because they can be programmed to open with a code or scan of a smart card.
Metal and glass doors are ideal for smart locks, as they can be mounted flush or recessed into the door and require very little maintenance. Smart locks are easy to install onto metal doors that do not come with mortise locks. For glass doors, smart locks can be mounted onto the door frame or into the wall itself.
Sliding patio doors can also be smartly secured with smart locks. There are several smart lock models that attach to the frame of a sliding door, allowing it to be opened and closed using the smart lock app. This type of smart lock is also great for interior doors in a home that need to be opened and closed often.
16. Is it easy to install smart locks?
The good news is that smart door locks are relatively easy to install. Depending on the type of smart lock you choose, you may be able to install it yourself without any help from a professional. However, before you take on the task of installing smart door locks yourself, there are a few things you should consider.
You should make sure you have all of the necessary tools for installation. Depending on the type of smart lock you have chosen, you may need some specific tools such as a drill, screwdriver, and power drill.
Additionally, you should also ensure you have read all of the instructions that come with the lock and are familiar with the steps necessary for installation.
If you are installing a retrofit smart lock, it is important to determine if your current locks are compatible with the new product. If not, you may have to replace the existing locks before installing your retrofit smart lock. In most cases, however, modern smart locks typically come with all the components needed to install without any additional purchases.
At EleMake, we understand that installation can be a daunting task for many customers. That is why we aim to make our products as easy to install as possible (e.g. FKDL-301 is partly assembled and could be installed within few minutes). With clear instructions, detailed illustrations, and helpful customer service, we are confident that you will be able to install your smart door lock in no time at all. If you need extra tips and information on smart lock installation, our Youtube channal would be a helpful resource.
17. How to install a smart door lock?
Installing a smart door lock is a relatively simple process and can be done in four steps: gathering the necessary tools and materials, preparing your existing door lock, installing the smart lock, and setting up the app.
You'll need a drill or screwdriver (depending on your smart lock model and door type), a single-cylinder deadbolt, a smart lock, a mounting plate, an adapter (if needed), and an indoor electrical outlet. Make sure to have all these tools handy before you start the installation process.
Next, remove your existing thumb latch and prepare the mounting plate for the smart lock. Attach the smart lock with the provided screws and then open the wing latches to attach it to your door. Once done, remove the battery tab and replace the faceplate.
Finally, you need to set up the smart lock app. Download the smart lock app from Google Play or the App Store, then create an account. Add the smart lock to your account and connect it to your Wi-Fi network. Finally, set up smart home integrations if needed.
For more detailed instructions, you can also refer to our series of smart door lock installation videos that provide helpful tips and guidance.
18. Which type of access control is right for you?
When it comes to access control, there is no one-size-fits-all solution. The best system for you will depend on your needs, budget, and preferences. Here are the most popular access control solutions to consider:
- Keypad Entry System: A keypad entry system is one of the most cost-effective and easy-to-use access control solutions. It offers convenience and flexibility, allowing you to set up multiple-user codes and times of access.
- Card Access System: A card access system is a secure way to control access to a facility. It requires a user to present an encoded card or badge which is read by a card reader, granting access. This type of system offers high security and is ideal for larger facilities or those with multiple entry points.
- Biometric Access System: A biometric access system uses fingerprint or iris recognition to grant access. This is the most secure type of access control system and offers excellent protection against theft and unauthorized entry.
19. How much do smart locks cost?
The cost of smart door locks can vary greatly depending on the type and features you are looking for. However, if you are looking for an entry-level lock with basic features like remote locking and unlocking, the cost can typically range from $100 to over $400. For higher-end locks with added security benefits, such as biometric authentication, smart home integration, and alarm systems, you can expect to pay more.
Fortunately, most of the apps used to control your lock are free, so you don't have to worry about added costs associated with usage. With a smart door lock, you can enjoy the convenience and peace of mind that comes with knowing your home is secure.
20. How to choose the right smart lock?
Choosing the right smart door lock for your home is no small task, but if you know what to look for, it can be a simple process. Here are some key points to consider when selecting a smart lock:
- Security & Accessibility - Make sure the smart lock you choose is secure and reliable. Look for smart locks with multiple access options, like a keypad, fingerprint reader, or phone app.
- Compatibility - Ensure that the smart lock you choose is compatible with your smart home system and will work with any existing smart technology in your home.
- Installation & Maintenance - Smart locks come in different installation types, ranging from models that require a complete door replacement to ones that are just mounted on the existing deadbolt. Make sure you choose a smart lock that fits your needs and will be easy for you to install.
- Additional Features - Some smart locks come with additional features like a smart hub, smart lighting control, and more. Consider what extra features you want your smart lock to have before you make a purchase.
- Price - Finally, make sure the smart lock you choose fits your budget. Smart locks can range from a few hundred dollars to several thousand. Consider your needs and budget before making a purchase.
If you're looking for a sophisticated approach to upgrading your home security, smart locks are an ideal investment. Through convenience, protection, and ultimate peace of mind, these state-of-the-art locks enable you to regulate entry into your house from any place — what could be more valuable than that? Don't miss out on the numerous advantages associated with smart locks: invest today!